These chocolate peanut butter truffles have a sneaky secret . . . they’re made with chickpeas . . . crazy, right?? Trust me though, you or whoever else tries them will not suspect a thing! I’m not big on labels, but for those who need to know, they’re gluten free and vegan.
In the new year I will be sharing more about my quest to go sugar free . . . and how I was crazy enough to start before the holidays! I’ve spoken about sugar and its affect on our skin on many occasions because in reality, if you have a poor diet, products can only do so much against the affects of aging, inflammation, acne, etc.
These delightful little peanut butter balls are not entirely sugar free because they contain dates, but if you don’t add the chocolate you might be able to get away with calling them, “sugar free”.
Regardless, it is the holidays and so treat yourself . . . and with these little balls of goodness you won’t feel so guilty when you do.
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 6-8 dates (soaked overnight)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/8 cup water (as needed)
- 1/2 cup of mini dark chocolate chips
- 1 dark chocolate bar (for coating – optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (optional)
- Add chickpeas, peanut butter, dates, vanilla, and sea salt into a high-powered blender
- Blend on med-high, add water slowly until smooth and silky consistency
- Scoop dough into a bowl and fold in chocolate chips
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Once dough has hardened, roll into small balls and place on a non-stick cookie sheet
- Place cookie sheet into freezer for 1 hour
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and dip truffles into chocolate; alternatively roll in shredded coconut
- Makes approximately 24 truffles